Restoration and Maintenance
Many factors determine the health of a pond or lake. No single technique will ever be the answer for all situations, but all have their place in an integrated aquatic restoration and management program. Aquatic Systems will vary the use of techniques based on the following criteria:
- Current state – is it overgrown with plants? Algae? Are there fish?
- Site use – Is it used for boating, fishing or swimming? Wildlife habitat? Pollution abatement?
- Environmental – What are the possible pollutants? Exotic plant invaders?
- Economic – What is the current budget? Long term budget?
- Technical constraints – Are there local regulations limiting techniques? How accessible is it?
- Time - Are there compliance issues? How soon do you need, want, expect visible results? Are you looking for a quick fix or long term management?
Your restoration and maintenance plan will depend on your sites unique needs, however, most plans include at least one of the following:
- Aquatic weed and algae control – Aquatic Systems believes strongly in using the most environmentally friendly and responsible methods to accomplish this. Sometimes chemicals must be used so we go the extra mile to ensure that they are applied only by well trained and certified technicians, they have been tested and found to be safe, and it is the most appropriate technique to remedy a specific problem.
- Aeration – Ever see a fish tank with bubbles? This is the same principle applied to larger bodies of water. Fish, plants and other living organisms need oxygen to live, and lakes and ponds need living organisms to support higher life forms and to aid in decomposing organic matter and pollutants.
- Fish Stocking – For a lake to have true health and biodiversity, it must have fish. We will introduce new populations once the water is capable of sustaining them.
- Lake shore and littoral planting – Once the weeds are gone, native plants should be added. Not only will they add to the aesthetics, they will help prevent exotic plants from coming back and become much needed food and nesting areas for numerous species of wildlife.
- Bioaugmentation – A lake in distress is often lacking in the necessary bacteria and enzymes to breakdown the organic materials that enter the water, has nutrient levels that are too high or too low. Aquatic Systems uses the Micro-Lyfe family of products to enhance your lakes biology.
A combination of two or more of these may be required for long term health and enjoyment of your lake or pond. Implementing an aquatic management program tailored to your specific needs will go a long way towards restoring the natural balance of the aquatic ecosystem of your lake or pond.
Rest assured, our technicians are rigorously and continuously trained, state certified and licensed to work in aquatics, wetlands, natural areas and right-of-way environments.
Contact us today to start a lake management program!
- Lake Maintenance
- Water Testing & Mapping
- Wetlands & Preserves
- Midge Fly Control
- Fishery Management
- Compliance & Permitting